Saturday November 14 1953

Horsham 5 - Haywards Heath Town 1

Elphick 35', ?', ?', 88' Browning 42'
Haywards Heath Town
Daubney 40'

Sussex Senior Cup 1st Round Replay
Queen Street, Horsham
Saturday November 14 1953

In ninety minutes of brilliant football, Horsham rolled over Haywards Heath in the first round replay of this Sussex Senior Cup tie. Horsham pulled every trick they knew out of the bag and the result was that Haywards Heath were outplayed and over-run in every department. Johnny Elphick tore through the centre like a jet and his personal tally was four, including a second half hat-trick. Indeed, very few teams at this level could have stopped Horsham in the mood they were in and they thoroughly deserved to fight again for the Senior Cup.

The pace which Horsham set right from the kick-off was too much for Heath and time and again player after player was beaten by the speed of his opponent. The first shot came from Elphick, but Revell saved. John Browning, playing his best game since returning to the team, then almost opened the scoring when he headed goalwards from an Oliver Coldman centre, but Revell was well positioned to save. Nobby Cobb sent Elphick clean through with a low pass but he shot straight at the keeper, and Cobb himself nearly beat the in-form keeper with a terrific drive from a forty-yard free-kick, but the ball was tipped over the bar. Horsham finally opened the scoring after thirty-five minutes. Browning sent Elphick ahead with a clever pass and he positioned himself well before shooting neatly past Revell. Against the run of play, Heath equalised within five minutes when Den Daubney latched on to a pass from full-back C.Browning, and the tussle started all over again. Horsham, however, were seldom out of the Heath half and three minutes from the interval Coldman sent Browning away and his shot gave them the lead.

Horsham never slackened their pace in the second half and Coldman, who did not have the best of luck in the game, saw his close-range shot crash into the side-netting. It was left to Elphick to put the town club further ahead and his second goal was the best of the match. He stopped a pass from David Green just outside the penalty area and whipped the ball into the bottom right-hand  corner of the goal with his left foot. Just after this Cobb staggered off the field with a head injury, but when he returned about five minutes later, Horsham had made it 4-1. Revell only half picked up a shot from Browning and the opportunist Elphick was there on the spot to crash the ball home. So it went on right to the end; Horsham having all the play and making the most of their opportunities. Just to prove they were not relaxing they scored their fifth goal a couple of minutes from the end. A ball came loose in front of the Heath goal and once again Elphick’s quick-thinking resulted in the ball pushing out the back netting.


  • Ernie Manouch
  • Owen Parker
  • Albert King
  • Roger Christmas
  • Jack Marriner
  • Norman Cobb
  • Oliver Coldman
  • David Green
  • John Elphick
  • John Browning
  • Leslie Glue

Haywards Heath Town