Saturday October 31 1953

Horsham 2 - Haywards Heath Town 2

Glue (2)'
Haywards Heath Town
Daubney (2)'

Metropolitan & District League
Queen Street, Horsham
Saturday October 31 1953

The weather was the only thing that dominated play in this Metropolitan League match at Queen-street. For the better part of the game it teemed with rain and the second half was played in near darkness. Horsham, twice in arrears with a depleted and re-shuffled squad, gave as good as they got, and taken all round a draw was a fair result. Reserve goalkeeper Gerald Jacobs took over from Ernie Manouch, who was suffering from a poisoned hand, Roy Scutt filled the left-half position and John Browning was brought back at inside-left. Leslie Glue, in the unfamiliar position of outside-left, scored both of Horsham’s goals.

Horsham opened their attack through the right-wing and Oliver Coldman was robbed of a shot at the last moment. Willson nearly opened the scoring for Haywards Heath following a good cross from K.Elphick and, soon after, Heath missed another chance when Wood’s free-kick went wide. Horsham forced two quick corners on each wing but the Heath defence cleared easily and it was the visitors who went into the lead in the sixteenth minute from an attack on the left-wing. Former Horsham centre-forward Den Daubney snapped up a pass from K.Elphick, swerved round a defender, and beat Jacobs easily. Within ten minutes Horsham had equalised. Heath goalkeeper Revell saved a hard shot but, in bouncing the slippery ball, he allowed it to come loose and all Glue had to do was tap the ball over the line. Horsham had a similar chance a few minutes later when a Browning shot was dropped by Revell but, this time, the ball was cleared. Browning, running on to a pass by Scutt, just failed with his header and, at the other end, K.Elphick’s shot beat Jacobs and crashed against the upright.

In the second half the rain became heavier and the light began to fade. Wood tried hard for Heath and hit the crossbar before Daubney was put through by Barclay and his turning shot was well out of Jacobs’ reach. Within two minutes Horsham had drawn level again. David Green sent a pass towards the Heath goal, a scramble ensued, and it was left to Glue to force the ball over the line. Scutt shaped up well against the lively Barclay, Owen Parker played his usual solid game, and Albert King and Jack Marriner again showed up well. but for the forwards it was an off-day and the tear-away Elphick was not given much assistance.


  • Gerald Jacobs
  • Owen Parker
  • Albert King
  • Roger Christmas
  • Jack Marriner
  • Roy Scutt
  • Oliver Coldman
  • David Green
  • John Elphick
  • John Browning
  • Leslie Glue

Haywards Heath Town