Saturday September 19 1953

Horsham 3 - Windsor & Eton 2

Elphick ' Ockenden ' Watts '
Windsor & Eton
Sellars ' Davies '

Metropolitan & District League
Queen Street, Horsham
Saturday September 19 1953

It had taken nine matches for the Horsham football machine to click into gear, but the team finally found its form at Queen-street against the previous season’s league runners-up. The winning margin was not large, but Horsham were the better team throughout and it was good to see them fighting when they were losing and still going at it hammer and tongs when the final whistle blew. Straight from the kick-off Horsham burst through and David Green’s shot skimmed the bar. John Browning then sent Peter Kingston through and Windsor were forced to concede a corner. Windsor made several promising forays into the Horsham half and Ernie Manouch saved well one-handed from Piercey before Horsham regained the initiative and Browning was unlucky when Bell unwittingly stopped his goalbound shot with his knees before Johnny Elphick shaved the crossbar with a piledriver.

At half-time neither side had scored and Horsham’s run of injuries began. Five minutes before the interval, Green collapsed with an injured ankle and did not return until five minutes after the start of the second half. This did not stop Horsham from resuming their assault on the Windsor goal and from an Elphick corner, with Bell out of position, a Windsor defender kicked the ball off the goal-line. Against the general run of play Windsor took the lead after some delightful, carpet football that concluded with Piercey sending his inside man Sellars through on goal to slot the ball past Manouch. Straight from the kick-off, it was Horsham’s turn to have the ball in the net. Green sent over a high lob from the right, Browning was there with his head and the ball was in. But the referee ruled him offside and, as a result of this scramble, Browning was taken off with a bleeding nose. Another good centre came over from Green and this time Bell could only half stop the shot with Elphick charging in to crash the ball over the line.

Horsham took the lead when Alec Ockenden ran in to head in Horsham’s second direct from a Green comer. Gabbin’s pass led to Davies heading in Windsor’s equaliser and the visitors could have taken the lead when Sellars shot at goal but Manouch dived to fist the shot away. It was the hosts, however, who put the pressure on in the final minutes of the game and Elphick was brought down by Griffiths when going through, with Maurice Watts crashing the resultant penalty kick low into the corner. Though the penalty looked fairly clear-cut, the Windsor players protested strongly and unfortunately the referee was seen to add more than one name to his book. It was an unpleasant ending to what had been a fine performance from both sides.


  • Ernie Manouch
  • Tony Lee
  • Roger Christmas
  • Maurice Watts
  • Owen Parker
  • Norman Cobb
  • John Browning
  • David Green
  • John Elphick
  • Peter Kingston
  • Alec Ockenden

Windsor & Eton