Saturday September 12 1953

Horsham 3 - Littlehampton Town 1

Elphick (2)' Browning '
Littlehampton Town
Howse 6'

FA Cup Preliminary round
Queen Street, Horsham
Saturday September 12 1953

After a first half in which Horsham played the kind of football that had been lacking at Queen-street so far this season, they began to drift into their old ways and this preliminary round FA Cup tie became as ragged as last week’s programme.

In the first half, Horsham were superior in practically every department and at one stage it looked as though they would run up a cricket score against their County League opponents. However, it was Littlehampton who opened the scoring after six minutes when their inside-right, and previous year’s top County League goalscorer, Bob Howse, swivelled through on his own and beat Ernie Manouch with a low shot into the corner. Straight from the kick-off Horsham were awarded a penalty, but Nobby Cobb’s shot was well saved by Joliffe. The Horsham equaliser came from a movement started by John Browning. The inside-right centred, Cobb headed on to the crossbar, and Johnny Elphick netted from the rebound.

David Green, on the right-wing, worked very hard and many of his well placed centres should have produced goals and it was one of these which brought about Horsham’s second. The ball came loose in front of the Littlehampton goal and, amidst a flurry of legs, Elphick found a gap and the ball was in the back of the net. In came yet another Green centre and this time Browning was there with his head. The ball bounced down from under the crossbar and a defender cleared it away, but the referee ruled it had been over the line. Five minutes before half-time it was Littlehampton’s turn to miss a penalty. This time the man off target was Howse, who shot tamely at Manouch.

The second half brought moans and groans from the crowd as scoring chance after scoring chance was muffed. It was lucky for Horsham that Littlehampton were as bad as themselves otherwise this game could quite easily have been lost. The only real bad luck that came Horsham’s way was when their right-half Roy Wilden was crooked; he went off twice and for the best part of this half was virtually a passenger. The best performance in the Horsham defence was that of the terrier-like Roy Mobsby at left-half. It was his last game before joining the forces, but he certainly left the club with flying colours. Up front the honours went to Green, who was one of the few home side players who appeared capable of lasting ninety minutes, though Elphick also created a good impression at centre-forward.


  • Ernie Manouch
  • Roger Christmas
  • Owen Parker
  • Roy Wilden
  • Jack Marriner
  • Roy Mobsby
  • David Green
  • John Browning
  • John Elphick
  • Norman Cobb
  • Bert Pope

Littlehampton Town