Sunday 21st November 2021

Under 11s v Arundel (a)
Arun & Chichester League Winter Cup

The U11s headed to play Arundel in the Winter Cup determined to protect their 100% winning record since joining the Saywell International League in September. Horsham started brightly and played their usual possession-based fast moving football but Arundel defended in numbers and kept the visitors at bay for the whole of the first half and always looked a threat on the counter.

Half-time brought some changes for the visitors, who went looking for victory in the second half only to be denied by an extremely well organised, physically strong, and fast Arundel team. An error from Horsham gave the home team the lead and the Hornets had to dig deep to get back on terms. The home team took the lead again, leading to a barnstorming final phase with the Hornets showing great determination and desire to snatch victory with less than ten minutes to play. The 100% winning record remains intact with two games remaining to try and secure back-to-back trophies.

Under 12s v Worthing Town Blue (a)
Sussex WJ Jewell Trophy (County Cup)

This was another fantastic performance from Jamie Irving’s boys. Horsham were by far the better team and, despite the difficult conditions, the boys continued to play good football.

After ten minutes, Cairns broke quickly down the right flank and managed to pick out Irving who of course opened the scoring. Worthing were then gritty and determined and a good battle continued but, just before half-time, the ball fell to Dickinson outside the box and he lashed it into the net. After the restart both sides continued to battle but in reality Horsham were never in any danger. Girling popped up with two superbly taken goals to put the come completely out of sight for Worthing. A commanding performance from Willard in goal must be noted too.

Under 13s v Eastbourne Town (h)
Mid-Sussex Youth League Cup

Horsham welcomed Eastbourne Town for what was a very competitive, but fair, League Cup tie with battles happening all over the pitch. The hosts’ passing game and strength going forward showed with them coming out 7-2 winners on the day. The young Hornets started well, with two early goals from H Grubb and J Woodhams and this spurred Eastbourne into a fighting comeback, playing some great football, and pulling a goal back to make it 2-1.

With Eastbourne pressing, Horsham were able to play some great counter-attacking football, scoring four more before the half with goals from J Pateman, S Abrehart (2) and, from a corner, A Woodhams.

With the score at 6-1, Eastbourne would have a lot to do in the second half and, to their credit, came out fighting to make the second half a much more even affair. Town’s efforts were rewarded as they added a second goal after Graham Duvergier had made a number of changes to his team, before S Abrehert scored late on to complete his hat-trick and end the game 7-2. In Horsham’s favour.

U14s v SC Pass & Move (h)
Mid-Sussex Youth Football League

Goals by S Purser and A Gregory were enough to see Sam Jones’ squad past opponents SC Pass and Move. Jones gave substitute appearances to Under 13 squad members H Duvergier and J York during the game.

U15s v Bognor Regis Town Black (h)
Mid-Sussex Youth Football League

Matt Ayling’s Hornets started the game well, controlling play with more possession than their opponents. On eight minutes the ball fell neatly to Horsham left-back N Tandy who, after taking a touch onto his left, shot from distance to give Horsham the early lead. On nineteen minutes a commanding display in the middle of the park from S Ayling saw him deliver a ball,  clearly meant for the attacking forwards, which took a deflection off a Bognor head and into the goal to leave the half time score at 2 – 0.

Half-time brought a couple of changes; A Street-Williams coming on for K Newins and L Medrow for C Mitchell. A slightly off pace, and sloppier, start to the half had Horsham over complicating some of the link up play and Bognor were now starting to get more possession and pose the home side more of a threat. Some further changes to the side saw Z Bull replace R Osbourne and M Panoutsos come in to the fold to rest the legs of E Evans after a relentless display chasing and pressing on the right wing.  On sixty-eight minutes a ball through the lines on the left saw L Medrow break away from his man and, one on one with the keeper, slot the ball into the bottom right of the net. A nervy last ten minutes, with a lot of possession being given away, saw Horsham hold on to the lead and after a composed performance from the back four, notably centre-halves N Pile and M Bartlett, Horsham saw out the game picking up all three points and, more pleasingly, a second clean sheet in a row.

MTM Autocare sponsors’ MOTM went to N Pile

U18s v Roffey (h)
Southern Combination Youth

Horsham entertained near neighbours Roffey on a bright, but cold, morning looking to make amends for a 3-0 defeat at Bartholomew Way, earlier in the season.

An energetic start to the game presented the hosts with a number of chances but it wasn’t until the 25th minute that the deadlock was broken. A fine move down the right saw a number of players exchange passes before the ball was laid into J Wallace inside the penalty area. A good first touch and composure allowed him to look up and confidently place the ball beyond Cochrane in the Roffey goal. Just before the half-time whistle, Sessions was called into action as Roffey looked for an equaliser before Symonds was brilliantly denied at the other end by Cochrane.

Ten minutes into the second half, Horsham were sloppy in possession and failed to clear their lines. A ball slipped in between the home defence saw the Roffey forward race clear before Dryden clumsily bundled him over, giving referee Smallwood no option but to point to the spot, ignoring Roffey’s pleas for further sanctions. Sessions guessed the wrong way from the spot kick and the visitors were level.

Both ‘keepers then made saves, Sessions tipping over awkwardly and Cochrane, once again, being equal to a fine shot. Wallace then tested Cochrane once again with the same outcome before Macleod’s good appeal for a penalty, after being barged while attempting to head the ball, was ignored.

The points were shared as the game ended with a couple of half chances for both sides that came to nothing.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *