With the Spring clocks leaping forward, and on a sunny but windy Mothering Sunday, Horsham Youth U13s travelled south to face Bognor Regis Town in an attempt to secure the league title to add to the League Cup they secured at the start of March. Horsham began brightly, trying to find their style on a drying out pitch and unfamiliar bouncing ball. The wind was playing a part in the early exchanges as both teams struggled to get a firm grip on the match but, with a slight change in formation, the initial grip was taken by Horsham, Nathan Jones winning a good ball in the middle and slipping it to Frankie Mills who drove forward before firing a long shot through the legs of his marker. The ball curled away from the Bognor ‘keeper and into the bottom right hand corner to give the Hornets the lead and calm the game down. Both sides were playing good football but the yellows’ defensive line were holding firm, preventing any meaningful attacks and trying to counter-attack. It was from some good play out of the defence that brought about Horsham’s second goal as Danny White played a great ball to Joe Sherwood who slipped the ball on to Zach Jeanes and he drove into the box to fire past an unsuspecting keeper. Other opportunities came and went for both sides but the score remained 2-0 to Horsham at half-time.

The second half started differently as Bognor began to pose problems with long shots, a more battling attitude, and with Horsham not protecting the ball well enough. The match became scrappy and when Bognor managed to get a goal back the whole mood changed; Horsham found themselves on the rack, rattled and worried! The half wore on with Bognor creating more chances and, with eighteen minutes left, they managed an equaliser. This prompted some changes in personnel and formation to try and gain a hold on the match again which worked but created a very tense final quarter of this match. The game was now an end to end battle but with no more goals forthcoming, Horsham were able to gain the point needed to win the league title and bring home a double success – league and league cup winners!

Manager Paul Brown was nearly lost for words….but not quite! “The squad were brilliant throughout the whole season, especially today. They managed to dig in, recover from a wobbly situation and bring home a wonderful double. They have a unique opportunity to become invincible for the season when they face Worthing Town Blue in the final league game of the season. Unfortunately I will not be present but I trust these lads to achieve their third mission set them earlier this year as Alex and Ross lead the squad into their final match. It has been a pleasure coaching and managing these boys and I hope they all come back for new season trials during the coming months for their next adventure in this exciting journey!”

Horsham: Monty Watson-Price, Danny White, Ethan Nylon-Lwin, Cameron Cox, Theo Brown, Frankie Mills, Luke Harrison, Stan Berry, Joe Sherwood, Nathan Jones, Zach Jeanes
Substitutes – Rylan Shickell, Jack New, Finley Duneclift, George Bowler, Jasper Butterfill

Domino’s Men Of The Match: Nathan Jones & Theo Brown


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *