Horsham U12s hosted Worthing Strikers in their last league game of the season on Sunday. The Hornets had already secured the league title and Worthing had already consolidated third place so this was a bit of a nothing game, other than a warm up for the young Hornets’ League Cup Final on Sunday to attempt to make it the double for the season.

The game kicked off and both sides struggled to get the ball down and play their football, which suited Worthing more so being a big, physical side. The pitch was lively so it was taking an extra touch to get the ball under control and the Horsham players were taking too long to get the ball wide and stretch the opposition defence. When they did get the ball wide they were then playing the ball back inside into traffic. The first real chance came fifteen minutes in when Bailey Moyo had a good effort that went wide. Two minutes later Jacob Pugh, at right-back, and George Lee linked up well down the right which resulted in Harry Lawson’s shot being well saved. Zack Bull was also having a good confident start to the match in possession, he and Bailey Moyo both linking up well on the left. On twenty-three minutes Sonny Barton was fouled challenging for the ball and Luke York’s resulting free-kick was well saved and held with Horsham players following in.

A minute later Horsham broke the deadlock with a really well worked goal. They finally got the ball wide and again it was down the right hand side, Jacob passing the ball into George Lee out wide right and he nonchalantly flicked the ball round the corner into Sam Ayling to go one on one with the Worthing left-back. Sam stood him up and beat the man and then delivered a great ball into the box that found Bailey Moyo who had made a great run into the box from left midfield to volley home from close range. Horsham had started to turn the screw now and two minutes before half-time Stanley Hague got Horsham’s second goal. He found himself on the edge of the box and, without needing to beat the player, shifted the ball to his right and arrowed the ball into the top corner leaving the ‘keeper rooted to the spot. It was a great hit. The last chance of the half came when George found Bailey out wide left with a precision pass, Bailey’s centre reached Harry who was being well marshalled by the defender, but a cheeky back heel from the captain unfortunately went wide of the target.

H/T: Horsham Youth 2 Worthing Strikers 0

The second half kicked off and Horsham were in the driving seat. The players had really started getting the ball into wide areas, stretching the defence and holes were appearing in the Worthing defence. Zack Bull and Elliott Evans were now combining well down the left with overlapping runs and some great passing causing real problems for Worthing. On thirty-five minutes Stanley and Harry combined well and saw the captain get in on goal but the angle didn’t favour him and his shot hit the side netting from close range when a square ball may have been the better option. However a minute later, after some good approach play down the right, the ball found George who fired home emphatically with his left foot into the roof of the net from twelve yards for a great finish. On forty-one minutes Sam was unlucky when  a corner found him on the edge of the box and the ball came off his knee, onto his chest, and appeared to be dropping in the top corner until a great overhead clearance from the defender kept the score at three. Horsham had defended really well and it looked like a clean sheet would be on the cards; Jacob and Zack, who had both had excellent games making some good tackles as well as starting attacks from the back, supported by Luke York who always organises and provides excellent cover. Worthing did break through on a couple of occasions but found Alex Maynard in fine form, saving well with his legs on one occasion. Unfortunately, Horsham had moved their centre-back into midfield and Worthing got a consolation goal eight minutes from time. The game was all but over with the last two chances falling to Bailey with a free-kick from the edge of the box that was well saved and Sonny going close from distance.

F/T: Horsham Youth 3 Worthing Strikers 1

Manager’s Comments:
”This was a good performance from the boys when we eventually got the ball down and started to play our football. It’s always hard to keep motivated when the league is already won but it was important to keep the consistency going before our cup final next weekend. Hopefully the boys can stay focused and do the double which would round off a fantastic season for us as a squad and for the club as a whole as we prepare to move into our new ground.”

Horsham:  Alex Maynard, Elliott Evans, Luke York, Jacob Pugh, Zack Bull, George Lee, Sonny Barton, Harry Lawson, Bailey Moyo, Stanley Hague, Sam Ayling
Scorers: Bailey Moyo, Stanley Hague, George Lee

Jacob Pugh and Zack Bull


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *