The U12s travelled to Chichester to play against their fiercest rivals for what, on paper, is likely to be the toughest fixture in the 2018/19 campaign.

The game kicked off and Horsham started brightly, winning every first and second ball and not letting Chichester settle in to the game at all. The first twenty minutes was all played in the Chichester half and the result looked like it was only going one way, although goalscoring opportunities were few and far between in what was a very tense and cagey affair with the centre half for Chichester solid at the back and sniffing out a lot of the Horsham attacks

As the half wore on, Chichester began to get a foothold in the game and started to show how they get results by grinding down the opposition with their very physical style of play. They are well-organised and solid throughout their team but can also get the ball down and play football in the final third. You can see how they have been the team to beat the past few seasons. They finished the half with a good save by Alex Maynard, the Horsham stopper, to keep the score level.

H/T: Chichester City Colts White 0 Horsham FC Youth 0

The second half kicked off and followed a similar pattern to the first half; Horsham with a lot of the ball but unable to fashion many clear cut chances. Then, five minutes in, Captain Harry Lawson was released by a perfectly-timed run and through ball by Bailey Moyo to go one on one with the Chichester keeper who rushed off his line to narrow the angle and stood up well to save the resulting shot, low down to his left.

Frustratingly for Horsham, two minutes later a 50/50 ball on the half way line was won by the Chichester midfield who then released their striker and he outpaced Horsham’s defence to slot past the keeper to go a goal up. From there the game became a very physical affair with both teams putting in some strong challenges which weren’t for the faint hearted. It was clear that Chichester were determined not to relinquish their lead.

Horsham never gave up and continued to dominate the midfield battle but just couldn’t find a way through the solid Chichester defence. On fifty-five minutes Harry Lawson was unlucky with the best chance of the remainder of the game when his header struck the bottom of the far post. Horsham kept pushing but the game became very scrappy which suited Chichester in the final minutes.

F/T: Chichester City Colts White 1 Horsham FC Youth 0

Managers Comments:

“This was always going to be a tough opening game of the season. Chichester are a well-drilled, organised and physical side. Personally I thought we were the better of the two teams and thought the performance today was first class, with every player giving their all. We were sucker-punched with their goal to be honest and walked away feeling as though we should have got something out of the game.”

Horsham: Alex Maynard, Jacob Pugh, Luke York, Elliott Evans, Adan Rubin, Stanley Hague, Sonny Francis, Harry Lawson, Bailey Moyo, George Lee, Sam Ayling

Man of the Match: Luke York


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *