Sunday 11th March 2018
Arun & Chichester League Division A

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!  From 7:30am there were workers forking and sanding the pitch to ensure the U12s got their game on against Chichester City Youth Whites.

The game started brightly for the young Hornets and, inside five minutes, Raul Barter had unleashed a rasping shot that was parried into the path of Nathan Jones who finished nicely for a 1-0 lead. This was followed up a minute later when Nathan grabbed his second after some cool passing between Cameron Cox and Raul on the left hand side. The yellows kept the pressure on and this time Nathan turned provider for Finley Duneclift to slip the ball under the Chichester keeper to make it 3-0 inside a quarter of an hour. Some changes were made to keep the boys fresh and these changes took a little while to get to the pace of the game but Horsham went further ahead when Stan Berry muscled through to slam the ball home. The Hornets really pressed quickly and Cameron burst through from defence to steer the ball home for another goal but the home side weren’t finished for this half as Stan grabbed his second after some further good passing from the Horsham midfield saw him put the Hornets 6-0 up. With Chichester tiring under our slick football, on a very sticky pitch, the ball was fired across from the right side and the ball was deflected home for an own goal, taking the total to 7-0 for the first half.

The management made some more changes at half time and this allowed Ethan Neylon-Lwin to grab a debut goal when he jinxed past the Chichester defence to smash the ball home. The Hornets sat back for a period of the game, the pitch was cutting up and some changes were made to again freshen up the side. This allowed Horsham to push on again and Nathan found Raul who steered home to take the score to 9-0. Stan then grabbed his second hat-trick of the season as he stabbed home to bring up double figures. The yellows kept going, passing and probing, and after a great passage of play the ball came back to Theo Brown who calmly passed the ball into the bottom corner, beyond the Chichester ‘keeper, to complete the scoring.

Captain Jack New commented that “Horsham had played good football”, allowing the young team to achieve a fantastic result on a very difficult surface. Coach Ross Butterfill had this to say: “This team put in a professional display in very difficult conditions. The work done to the pitch by management and parents to get this game on was fantastic and it still allowed both sides to play football in a passing style, which would normally be hard on this muddy surface”.

Manager Paul Brown added “a huge thanks to parents, including a mother, for getting up early to work on our home pitch. The game was in danger of being called off but they work very hard in forking it, sanding it and even marking it, to ensure the lads got a game on. I and the team are very grateful and I am sure the result was the best present on Mother’s Day; I know it was for me. This great bunch keep improving, pushing on and picking up the league points we deserve, we keep going and improve week on week, well deserved result for all the hard work today.

Horsham: Monty Watson-Price, Danny White, Cameron Cox, Raul Barter, Jack New (cpt), Frankie Mills, Theo Brown, Finley Duneclift, Nathan Jones
Subs: Jasper Butterfill, Denis Light, Stan Berry, Ethan Neylon-Lwin, Thomas Minto
Scorers: Berry (3), Jones (2), Barter, Duneclift, Cox, Neylon-Lwin, Brown, OG

Dominos Man of the Match: Nathan Jones

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *