Sunday 5 November 2017
Arun & Chichester League Challenge Cup

Horsham Youth U12s travelled to the south coast for this afternoon’s kick-off in the Challenge Cup, against a strong Worthing Town Blue.

The early stages of the first half was a tense, cagey affair, as both teams probed to find early openings but each defence and goalkeeper were busy keeping their sheets clean. Jasper Butterfill was busy leading the front line, for the young Hornets, whilst the midfield was being marshalled by Raul and Frankie. However, Worthing Town were showing good, defensive lines. It was from Cameron Cox that an opening came, he hit a twenty yard shot goalwards that took a bobble as the Worthing ‘keeper gathered it and the ball squirmed under him into the net to give Horsham a 1-0 lead.

Denis and Finley started to create some space behind the Blues defence but as the half was drawing to a close Monty had to make a couple of good saves and Nathan Jones clear off the Horsham goal line to maintain this slender lead into half time.

Worthing started the second half stronger, more physical in the challenge and more precise in finding some good balls in behind the Horsham back line. However the Hornets started to play football, getting the ball down and beginning to probe the Worthing lines with shots from Frankie, Stan and Raul being parried to safety by the blues ‘keeper. It was midway through the second half that another goal came; the ball was played out wide to Raul, on the left, who cut in to get his shot away on goal. The shot was saved but fell to Stan Berry, who had followed up well to bundle the ball into the net.

This settled Horsham down and they started to play better football. Nathan Jones was finding the space to surge forward through the Worthing lines and get some shots away. It was from one of these strong runs that  Nathan fed the ball wide left to Raul, and he crossed early to find Stan Berry who flicked the ball over the Worthing ‘keeper for a fabulous third Horsham goal.

The yellows were now commanding the game through the final five minutes, strong in defence and probing with their attacking play, but the game finished 3-0 to Horsham who proceed into the next round of the League Cup.

Manager Paul Brown was glowing in his praise of the squad. “We showed a professional side to our game today, it was a tough cup match that could have gone either way. Thankfully we settled down after a lucky break and from there we controlled the game. Captain Nathan Jones led the back line with huge confidence and this allowed his team-mates to play with composure. Our second and third goals were superb team play, good passing and clinical finishing. I hope we can keep this style of play going and take it into our next match which is county cup at home. This team can be an exciting prospect for the future!”

Horsham: Monty Watson-Price, Danny White, Cameron Cox, Nathan Jones (cpt), Finley Duneclift, Raul Barter, Frankie Mills, Denis Light, Jasper Butterfill Subs: Stan Berry, Theo Brown

Scorers: Cameron Cox, Stan Berry (2)

Dominos Men of the Match: Nathan Jones and Stan Berry

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *