Sunday 22 October 2017
Arun & Chichester League Division B

On Sunday, Horsham U13 Greens maintained their unbeaten run in the league with a dominant home performance against Ferring Youth at the Southwater Leisure Centre. Horsham won the match by five goals to one.

The first quarter was played predominantly in Ferring’s half, but Horsham had no reward despite having the better of territory and possession. Dan, Sam and Finley had seen their shots go wide or over the bar. Horsham’s breakthrough came afterย twenty minutes with an ambitious goal from Harrison. Positioned well forward on the edge of the centre circle inside Ferring’s half, he intercepted a Ferring pass. As the ball dropped to his feet he had the time to tee up an attempt at goal; a high lob that the ‘keeper, at full stretch, could not reach.

Four minutes later Cameron scored a second for Horsham. Harrison was involved in this one too as Cameron got on the end of his free kick in towards the far post. Dan had been fouled out on the right of Ferring’s midfield. Cameron’s first shot was saved by the ‘keeper but he pounced on the rebound and put the ball in the net. Another free kick, this time for a foul on Callum and again taken by Harrison, led to Horsham’s third goal in the 33rd minute scored by Reggie. The free kick from the centre of Ferring’s midfield was clearedย  back out and it was Harrison who got to the loose ball first. He played a long ball back in to the centre of the box picking out Reggie who produced a fine finish. Reggie’s exhuberant celebration made us smile.

The first half ended with Ferring going forward on the attack in Horsham’s half. Horsham had createdย six shots on target; Ferring none. At the half-time whistle it was Horsham 3-0 Ferring.

Horsham struck early after the break with a fourth goal three minutes after the restart, scored by Sam. Again Harrison started the move after gathering a loose ball in the centre of his own midfield. His long pass forward picked out Sam up in the centre of Ferring’s midfield and he shot from long range into the net for a fine goal.

Harrison had been winning loose balls, making clearances and breaking up Ferring attacks all match. One of those clearances came to Dan up forward in space at the centre of Ferring’s midfield; he was first to the loose ball. Dan took the ball forward into the penalty area, beating two players. He lobbed the ‘keeper and scored a fine individual goal, Horsham’s fifth.

For fifty minutes Ferring had managed no shots on target. They seemed to rely heavily on playing balls through the centre behind Horsham’s defence but lacked players with the pace to run on to them effectively. Many of those balls rolled forward for Louis to gather up and clear. He made twelve such clearances during the match.

Ferring’s first cross of the game into Horsham’s penalty area came in from Horsham’s left side and was cleared easily by Harrison. In the following ten minutes Ferring put Horsham under pressure with three shots and a corner kick, all in from that left side. Louis’s save and Tate’s block kept out the two shots on target and Alex cleared the corner. Harrison and Tate also made decisive tackles to break up Ferring attacks. Even during that period, though, things did not go all Ferring’s way. At the other end Sam and Finley had shots saved by the ‘keeper and Dan’s shot went wide of the post. Ferring eventually found success after an hour of play. Despite Horsham’s challenges, Ferring reached the byline, this time in the corner on Horsham’s right side. Their cross in to the far post was put away by a player running in from Horsham’s left and gave Louis no chance.

During the five-minute period after the goal, Reggie(two), Sam and Dan struck shots on target; all saved. Callum saw his good effort from long range go over the bar. The last ten minutes had Ferring defending mostly in their own half. With the last kick of the match, Alex saw his shot from the left of the penalty area go wide of the post. So, the second half ended with Horsham on the attack. In the second half, Horsham had nine shots on target to Ferring’s three. At the final whistle it was Horsham 5-1 Ferring.

This was another fine all-round team performance. The goals and shooting chances were shared around this week. All worked hard scrapping in midfield, intercepting passes, winning loose balls and those fifty-fifty battles.

Manager Ian Scott commented: “That was a battling performance. The boys played very, very well. As coaches, we instruct them to do what we want them to do but it’s the boys that do the work. They thoroughly deserved that result today. Well done.”

Man of the Match: Harrison.

Thanks to Simon for running the line, Emma for providing the oranges, and Marianne for the biscuits

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *