Sunday 1st October 2017
Arun & Chichester League Division B

Horsham and Worthing shared the points in a tight six-goal thriller on Sunday, played in drizzly, muddy conditions. A goal each in the first half saw both sides even at the break. They were closely matched throughout the game but drama came at the end of the second half with four goals scored in the last ten minutes.

Horsham scored first in the 8th minute, the second time the ball had been in the back of the net after Dan’s first effort was disallowed for offside. After Worthing’s free kick, Horsham picked up the loose ball in midfield and played out to Cameron on the left wing, he attacked in to the centre and scored with a fine shot into the right bottom corner of the goal. Well taken, great finish, Horsham one goal up.

Worthing drew level in the 17th minute with a shot from a central position inside the box and although both sides had further chances to score, the first half ended all square. Possession and territory was about fifty-fifty; six shots each, with Horsham putting five on target to Worthing’s three, the goalkeepers and woodwork playing their part.

The second half was also closely fought, with chances to score but no goals until the 64th minute. This time it was Worthing who took the lead, picking up a loose ball in the centre circle, running at and beating the Horsham defence and finishing with a shot along the ground into the bottom left corner of the goal.ย Horsham matched that, two minutes later. Harrison’s long free kick, awarded for an offside decision against Worthing, found Sam in the centre of the Worthing box and he passed to Cameron for his second goal, his shot hitting the back of the net low down to the ‘keeper’s left. Two all, six minutes to play.

Goals in the second half seemed to come in pairs and two more in the 69th minute made it tense for those on the touchline as well as on the pitch. Harrison’s long goal kick found Sam out on the left. Streaking down the wing, avoiding challenges, he battled down into the far corner and did well to get a cross in to the box to Dan, who beat his marker and shot across the keeper into the left of the goal. A fine cross, a great goal. Horsham had gained the lead again! However, Worthing immediately broke forward from the re-start, catching Horsham by surprise, and that lapse cost the home side two points.

The striker, breaking into the box side by side with the last defender, gained half a yard and played the ball with the outside of his right boot. It rolled along the ground towards goal and the ‘keeper, diving to his left, just couldn’t get his fingertips to it. The sides were level again; Horsham 3 – 3 Worthing.

It was not quite over yet, though, as a big chance fell to Dan at the other end in the 71st minute but his shot went over the bar and so, the points were shared.

Manager Ian Scott commented: “It was a fair result. The ground made it very hard work; very energetic for them; very boggy. I think three-three over the game was a fair result for everybody. Looking forward to our next cup game in two weeksโ€™ time.”

Man of the Match: Cameron

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *