Sunday 10 September 2017
Arun & Chichester League Division B

Sunday was bright, clear, and warm for Horsham U13s to play their first Arun & Chichester league match, at home to Barnham.

Horsham dominated the first half for both possession and territory with most of the play in Barnham’s half and the stats showing seven shots on target to Barnham’s one. The first goal came in the ninth minute when Sam’s shot found the bottom left corner of the net. Soon after, a long goal kick came to Dan and his fine shot from twenty-five yards out made it 2-0 and it was sixteen minutes before Louis, in goal, made his first save of the season. Shots on target came from Aiden, Callum, and Cameron, but all were saved. Late on, Bernard ran with the ball up the right wing and his pass found Dan, whose cross sailed over the ‘keeper to be headed into an open net by Cameron for a fine team goal.

H/T Horsham 3 Barnham Trojans 0

Barnham came back fighting and put Horsham under sustained pressure throughout the second half and, within three minutes of the restart, the Hornets were unlucky to concede from a penalty after the ball bounced up and touched an arm. Barnham continued attacking, earning three corners in close succession which the home team defended successfully. There was some respite in the forty-ninth minute when a foul, midway inside the Barnham half, saw Dan’s long range free-kick go just over the bar. Then an offside decision went against Barnham and, from the free-kick, Harrison found Dan who scored in the bottom corner, making the score 4-1.

Barnham’s second goal came from yet another corner, in the fifty-eighth minute. The next five minutes were tense as Horsham worked hard in defence and were saved twice by the woodwork as Barnham shots hit first the left and then the right posts. Barnham’s last chance came in the sixty-third minute from a break down the centre but the shot was kept out by a fine save from Louis, and Bernard gave his all to run back and clear the rebound. Two minutes later, at the other end of the pitch, Dan’s corner was headed in by Sam for Horsham’s fifth goal. Following the restart, the home team had one more attack in them as Dan received the ball in his own half and broke down the centre, his pace beating the last defender leaving him clear one-on-one with the ‘keeper but his shot passed outside the left hand post by a whisker, the last play of an action-packed game.

Manager Ian Scott’s Thoughts:
“This was the first league match played on a full size pitch for a newly-formed U13 Green team. All the squad played a part and the substitutions shared out the workload as tiredness took its toll in the second half. I was pleased with the lads overall. It was a terrific performance as a unit’.

Man-of-the-match: Bernard for effort and work rate.

Thanks to Terry for running the line.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *