Sunday 3 September 2017

Horsham Youth U11s’ last pre-season friendly before their first league game saw Ifield Galaxy visit Pevensey Road.

Both teams started off the game passing the ball well and feeling their way into the game in the early stages of the match. It was clear that the Ifield number four was going to be the main threat to Horsham. A strong runner and very difficult to knock off the ball, he rarely had much change out of Jacob Pugh throughout the game who again was strong and solid in the tackle. When he did manage to get through, he tested Jayden Nicholls in goal on a few occasions but was met with some very good saves by the Horsham ‘keeper.

That being said it always looked like being a one sided affair in Horsham’s favour, and that turned out to be the case.

The first half was ‘The Two Harrys’ show when Harry Lawson opened the scoring on ten minutes with Harry Clark adding the second, two minutes later. The Ifield number four reduced the arrears to make it 2-1 but from then on it was one way traffic. Harry Lawson scored his second and third goal (assisted by Harry Clark) to complete a first half hat-trick either side of his assist to set up Jacob Pescott for his first goal of the game, making it 5-1 to Horsham at the break.

The second half took the same pattern as the first, but with Stanley Hague replacing Harry Clark and Sonny Barton being able to step out from the back into his normal midfield role meant more problems for Ifield.

George Lee dropped back into defence and Elliott Evans switched into a wide role with both looking comfortable anywhere they’re asked to play. They are just two of half a dozen players who can play in every position, which shows the versatility of this squad.

There was only a minute on the clock when Jacob Pescott got his second goal of the game, well deserved for a player who appears to be a natural goal scorer.

Horsham were awarded their first penalty of the game when an Ifield player handled the ball in the box, converted by Harry Lawson for his fourth goal of the game. Sonny Barton then scored two goals in two minutes, the latter being a screamer that the home fans would have had a perfect view of from the sidelines.

Theo Imperiale was then rewarded for his industrious running all game when he was upended in the penalty area. He confidently took the ball and slotted home calmly from the spot.

To round off the game Elliott Evans scored after cutting in from the left and stroking the ball past the keeper with a confident finish to end the game 11-1 to Horsham.

Horsham: Jayden Nicholls, Jacob Pugh, Elliott Evans, Stanley Hague, Sonny Barton (C), Harry Lawson, George Lee, Jacob Pescott, Theo Imperiale, Harry Clark

Scorers: Harry Lawson (4), Jacob Pescott (2), Sonny Barton (C) (2), Harry Clark, Theo Imperiale, Elliott Evans

Man of the Match: Harry Lawson


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *