‘Storm Angus’ played havoc with today’s youth matches, with the U11s and U12s left kicking their heels after their respective pitches were declared unplayable following the heavy wind and rain that has swept the south of England. Thankfully there were no such problems for our U15s, whose match at Wick Dynamos was one of only a handful of Arun & Chichester League games to go ahead and they took the opportunity to move into second place in the Division C table thanks to a 5-2 victory.

It took a little while for the team to find a rhythm but in the seventh minute a good ball out to the right found Jake Relleen who cut inside to fire the ball past the Wick ‘keeper. The advantage of the early goal suggested that it had opened the floodgates for Adam Hartley’s side but Wick found an unlikely equaliser to bring the score back to 1-1. Horsham were rattled but managed to calm down after some good passing through midfield saw a ball played through to Jamie Boniface who netted for Horsham to restore their lead. However, the scores were level again just five minutes later when Connor Williams  netted his second of the game and that’s the way it stayed until half-time.

Adam and Dom worked their managerial magic at the break, with some calming advice along with simple requests, and this seemed to work as only six minutes into the second half Horsham regained the lead when Max Laker crossed from wide right to find Ryan Atalay who coolly played a ball in for Relleen to grab his second and Horsham’s third. This time Horsham did what was asked from the managers; the balls were controlled and simple passes made, which resulted in a great cross from the left that deflected up for Jake to sneak the ball between ‘keeper and post for his hat-trick. With a two goal cushion, Horsham started to run the show and, time after time, they found good balls through but the Wick goalkeeper was making great saves and when the ball beat him the crossbar got in the way.

Horsham stood firm with Callum Jones and Josh Hall managing to shut out the Wick attackers, especially their playmaker. It was not until fifteen minutes from the end that Horsham grabbed their fifth goal. Passing the ball well across the back line, Kieran Kirby was linking well with Harry Kent, and a neat pass from Kieran Bonner found Atalay who smashed home to get on the score sheet, securing the Horsham win.

Dom and Adam spoke of their delight at the result after the match: “This newly formed team keep producing. They seem to start slow and have trouble to get going but we want them to learn. We offer advice at half time but allow them the opportunity make their own decisions in getting the right result. We made hard work of the match today but once we started to pass, move and cross, we caused them nothing but problems. This team could do something special”

Horsham: James Marsh, Cody Blastock, Josh Hall, Callum Jones, Harry Kent, Ryan Atalay, Louis Hartley, Connor Brown, Jamie Boniface, Kieran Bonner, Jake Relleen    Subs: Kieran Kirby, Max Laker


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *